As Realtors, we have had more than our fair share of moves. Over the years, we’ve learned some tricks that make it easier and less stressful. Here are my Top 10 Tips given to you from our experience. . .
Before Moving Day
- Have the playground equipment and trampoline disassembled well in advance before you move. Use boxes and ziplock bags to keep the little pieces for reassembly later. Reassemble after the big move.
- We like to move our closets and toys before all the helpers come over. We’ve found that it’s just easier to load the SUV and minivan with clothes on the hanger and then move them straight to the new closet, rather than throwing everything into an awkward box.
- Have a friend come over before the move and knock out the kitchen packing.
- Pack well ahead of time – a couple of weeks before moving day. The last thing you want is helpers throwing your stuff in boxes on moving day.
On Moving Day
- Keep a toolbox in a handy spot. A small toolbox with screwdrivers, a hammer, and Allen wrenches will make assembly easy. Not having to look for it all will reduce unneeded stress on an already stressful day.
- Break for lunch and keep it simple. Order pizza for all the helpers.
- Hire a babysitter! Trust me, the last thing you want is a toddler crying at your feet while you want to cry with them!
At The End of Moving Day
- Know where your bedding is and have it ready for bedtime. Trust me, you will want to sleep after you move!
- Try to set up at least one bathroom with all the necessities. It will be nice to wake up the next morning and be able to brush your teeth with toothpaste, take a shower with soap, and actually be able to dry off with a towel once done!
- Have a TV and DVD player set up for little ones. You’ll love the electronic babysitter in the morning when you’re looking for a bowl and box of cereal.
When moving, it’s the little things that make it easier. Having some of your comforts set up will help reduce stress and make the move more manageable.